Agroforestry Extension Officer
The Agroforestry Extension Officer will work with the Community Outreach and Livelihoods Program in promoting the use of Climate-smart Agriculture targeting cacao farmers and beekeepers of the indigenous communities in the Toledo District.
Specific tasks include:
- To become a part of Ya’axché’s COL program and provide technical services to the farmers of the MGL (technical assistance on sustainable land use practices);
- Promote Ya’axché’s Agroforestry program, ensuring that deliverables are met, and that Ya’axché’s commitments to project funders in the field are up to speed;
- Support the establishment of experiments and demonstration plots in agroforestry, including assistance in other climate-smart practices;
- Ensure the Farmer Field School methodology in the MGL communities is implemented;
- To work alongside farmers in the wider Maya Golden Landscape by providing regular and adequate trainings, materials and equipment to interested farmers as part of programmatic and project deliverables following the AOP;
- Provide adequate extension services to farmers and community members in the wider MGL; including other agroforestry practices.
- Promote climate-smart practices in the MGL to achieve Ya’axché’s mission, vision, and goals;
- Support the establishment of experiments and demonstration plots in agroforestry, including assistance in beekeeping, inga alley cropping, organic farming and fire control burns;
- Gathering information on fire practices and perceptions among farmers in the MGL for a community-based fire management and adequate fire equipment oversight;
- Liaise closely with the respective staff member(s) for delivery of training needs and the establishment of community-based fire management;
- Coordinate and oversee the use of fire equipment;
- Develop technical and field reports on the work of COL to be shared with donors, staff and other partners
- Manage projects from time to time
Duration of placement
1 year with possible renewal
Desired Academic qualifications and skills
Include, but not limited to the following:
- Proven leadership skills (3-5 years’ management experience);
- Associate Degree in Agriculture is an asset; although Bachelor’s Degree is preferred
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and in writing;
- Proficient in local languages is an asset;
- Ability to demonstrate disciplined implementation to execute plans;
- Demonstrated experience and ability to lead;
- Excellent organizational ability to get work done through formal and informal channels and use resources efficiently and effectively;
- Experience in working with Maya communities and conservation including the barriers they face to participate in Ya’axché’s vision of creating harmony between nature and human development;
- Proactive and future-oriented to identify priorities and focus on getting most important work completed successfully;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build collaborative relationships and network effectively;
- Strong communication skills to clearly communicate key messages and have candid conversations;
Your application package should include a copy of your CV (no more than two pages) and a one-page letter outlining your interest in, and suitability for, the position. All documents should be in .pdf format and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only serious inquiries will be accepted.
Deadline to submit application is Monday July 5, 2021.