As Education and Outreach Consultant
Education and Outreach Consultant
We are securing the services of a Belizean Education and Outreach Consultant to develop and implement the Mesoamerican School for Community Forestry (Belize Programme). The consultant will be responsible for the development and coordination of concrete plans and education materials of a Leadership and Governance program. The program is to integrate agroforestry, agroecology and, landscape management guided by a farmer’s field school method ensuring an increase in women and youth participation during consultations.
The consultancy is for a period of 10 months for the project “Nuestra Tierra-Nuestros Bosques: Gobernanza Forestal de Pueblos Indígenas y Comunidades Forestales en REDD+ y FLEGT.”
Specific tasks will include
- To develop the Mesoamerican School for Community Forestry (MSCF) pilot program under Ya’axché’s EU/ICCO Forest Governance Project integrating lesson plans, teaching manuals and program outline/guides
- Coordinate (plan and execute) in a classroom setting the delivery MSCF pilot program in the Maya Golden Landscape targeting 50 individuals
- Liaise with Conservation Project Manager to determine the consultation and participation process of the program
- Integrate Ya’axché Farmers Field School methodology to strengthen a highly interactive program, combining historic information meshed with currents trends in community forestry
- Develop high quality informative materials for the delivery of the program (i.e. reports, leaflet, posters, other printing materials)
- Provide materials and information pieces for the communications and visibility of the pilot program
- Lead the pilot program outreach campaign to increase the participation of women and youth
- Communicate with Ya’axché when sessions will be delivered, identifying key speakers, guest presenters delivering topics in the area of expertise identified fitting into the program
- Establish a mechanism for monitoring the implementation of educational activities (i.e. standardizing information on presentations carried out) and their effects upon the target groups (i.e. test results, compiling attendance sheets, record schedule, number of visits, acquire feedback from stakeholders)
- Provide timely activity reports for the monitoring of the of the pilot program development.
Duration of consultancy
Dependent on skills and experience.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resource Management, Forest Ecology, Agriculture or a related field
- Desired teaching experience (2 years) in a classroom setting of maximum 25 individuals per session
- Experience in Adult education & adult learning
- Knowledge in Forest Governance and Leadership
- Organizing Communities, Gender Inclusion, Transparency, Community Consultation and Social Participation is an asset
- Excellent communication skills in English, verbally and in writing (Spanish is a plus)
- Experience in organizing, lesson planning and leading content delivery
- Excellent coordination and project implementations skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to work independently and within a diverse team and cultures
- Ability to work in remote traveling to MGL communities when necessary.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to lead
- Experience in working with Maya communities and conservation including the barriers they face to participate in Ya’axché’s vision of creating harmony between nature and human development
- Quality oriented to pursue results for self and others with drive, energy and enthusiasm
- Proactive, willing to learn and future-oriented to identify priorities and focus on getting most important work completed successfully
- Excellent organizational ability to get work done through formal and informal channels and use resources efficiently and effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build collaborative relationships and network effectively
- Strong communication skills to clearly communicate key messages and have candid conversations
- Ability to demonstrate disciplined implementation to execute plans
- Follows deadlines and submit timely reports.
Your application package should include a copy of your resume or CV (no more than two pages) and a one-page letter outlining your interest in, and suitability for, the consultancy. All documents should be in .pdf format and should be emailed to Marvin Vasquez (Conservation Project Manager, ICCO/EU Forest Governance Project) marvin.vasquez(at)yaaxche.org.
Deadline to submit application is Friday, 5th of April 2019.